Effective date: September 10, 2015
Welcome to Synk ("Synk," "we," "us" or "our"). Synk provides a quick, easy way for you to share events, synchronize schedules, and schedule get-togethers with friends, all through our social media network and content sharing platform.
Our Policy applies to all visitors, users, and others who access the Service ("Users").
1. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect the following types of information.
- Information you provide us directly:
- Your username, password, date of birth, postal code, and e-mail address when you register for a Synk account.
- Profile information that you provide for your user profile (e.g., first and last name, picture, email address, postal code, date of birth). Some of this information – names, email address, postal code, picture – allows us to help you or others be "found" in the Synk network. Date of birth is used to verify that you are over the age of thirteen and thus eligible to use Synk.
- User Content (e.g., event names, dates, times, locations, and names of other Users attending those events; photos; comments, and other materials about those events) that you post to the Service or that become part of your User Content by accepting event invitations from other Users.
- Communications between you and Synk. For example, we may send you Service-related notifications, messages, alerts, and emails (e.g., account verification, changes/updates to features of the Service, technical and security notices). Note that you may not opt out of Service-related messages or e-mails.
Finding your friends on Synk:
- If you choose, you can use our "Find friends" feature to locate other people with Synk accounts either through (i) your contacts list, (ii) third-party social media sites or (iii) through a search of names, email addresses, or postal codes on Synk.
- If you choose to find your friends through (i) your device's contacts list, then Synk will access your contacts list to determine whether or not someone associated with your contact is using Synk.
- If you choose to find your friends (iii) through a search of names or usernames on Synk, then simply type a name, email address, or postal code to search and we will perform a search on our Service.
Note about "Invite Friends" feature: If you choose to invite someone to the Service through our "Invite friends" feature, you may select a person directly from the contacts list on your device and send a text or email from your personal account. You understand and agree that you are responsible for any charges that apply to communications sent from your device, and because this invitation is coming directly from your personal account, Synk does not have access to or control this communication.
We do not currently use third-party analytics tools to measure traffic and usage trends for the Service.
Cookies and similar technologies:
Log file information:
Log file information is automatically reported by your browser each time you make a request to access (i.e., visit) a web page or app. It can also be provided when the content of the webpage or app is downloaded to your browser or device.
When you use our Service, our servers automatically record certain log file information, including your web request, Internet Protocol ("IP") address, browser type, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks and how you interact with links on the Service, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other such information.
When you use a mobile device like a tablet or phone to access our Service, we may access the "device identifier" of your mobile device in order to allow you to send and receive notifications via the standard methods afforded by your device and its operating system. The device identifiers used by Synk are small packages of data provided and managed by your remote device's Operating System that uniquely identify your mobile device.
Metadata is usually technical data that is associated with User Content. For example, Metadata can describe how, when and by whom a piece of User Content was collected and how that content is formatted.
Users may have Metadata added to their User Content when they create it; for example, Synk adds event date metadata to photos that you upload, in order to organize those photos by date for multi-day events. This makes your User Content more useful to other Synk Users and more interactive.
2. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
- help you efficiently access your information after you sign in;
- remember information so you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Service;
- provide personalized content and information to you and others;
- help you to more easily interact with the Service and with other Users of the Service;
- provide, improve, test, and monitor the effectiveness of our Service;
- develop and test new products and features;
- diagnose or fix technology problems;
- automatically update the Synk application on your device.
3. SHARING OF YOUR INFORMATION
We will not rent or sell your information to third parties outside Synk (or the group of companies of which Synk is a part) without your consent, except as noted in this Policy.
Parties with whom we may share your information:
We may share User Content and your information (including but not limited to, information from cookies, log files, device identifiers, location data, and usage data) with businesses that are legally part of the same group of companies that Synk is part of, or that become part of that group ("Affiliates"). Affiliates may use this information to help provide, understand, and improve the Service (including by providing analytics) and Affiliates' own services (including by providing you with better and more relevant experiences). Synk and its Affiliates will honor the choices you make about who can see your photos.
We also may share your information as well as information from tools like cookies, log files, and device identifiers and location data, with third-party organizations that help us provide the Service to you ("Service Providers"). Our Service Providers will be given access to your information as is reasonably necessary to provide the Service under reasonable confidentiality terms.
We may remove parts of data that can identify you and share anonymized data with other parties. We may also combine your information with other information in a way that it is no longer associated with you and share that aggregated information.
Parties with whom you may choose to share your User Content:
Any information or content that you voluntarily disclose for posting to the Service, such as User Content, becomes available to the public, as controlled by any applicable privacy settings that you set. To change your privacy settings on the Service, please change your Preferences settings and sharing settings with individual friends. Once you have shared User Content or made it public, that User Content may be re-shared by others.
If you remove information that you posted to the Service, copies may remain viewable in cached and archived pages of the Service, or if other Users or third parties using the Synk API have copied or saved that information.
What happens in the event of a change of control:
Responding to legal requests and preventing harm:
We may access, preserve and share your information in response to a legal request (like a search warrant, court order or subpoena) if we have a good faith belief that the law requires us to do so. This may include responding to legal requests from jurisdictions outside of the United States where we have a good faith belief that the response is required by law in that jurisdiction, affects users in that jurisdiction, and is consistent with internationally recognized standards. We may also access, preserve and share information when we have a good faith belief it is necessary to: detect, prevent and address fraud and other illegal activity; to protect ourselves, you and others, including as part of investigations; and to prevent death or imminent bodily harm. Information we receive about you may be accessed, processed, and retained for an extended period of time when it is the subject of a legal request or obligation, governmental investigation, or investigations concerning possible violations of our terms or policies, or otherwise to prevent harm.
4. HOW WE STORE YOUR INFORMATION
Storage and Processing:
Your information collected through the Service may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Synk, its Affiliates, or Service Providers maintain facilities.
Synk, its Affiliates, or Service Providers may transfer information that we collect about you, including personal information, across borders and from your country or jurisdiction to other countries or jurisdictions around the world. If you are located in the European Union or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, please note that we may transfer information, including personal information, to a country and jurisdiction that does not have the same data protection laws as your jurisdiction.
We use commercially reasonable safeguards to help keep the information collected through the Service secure and take reasonable steps (such as requesting a unique password) to verify your identity before granting you access to your account. However, Synk cannot ensure the security of any information you transmit to Synk or guarantee that information on the Service may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed.
Please do your part to help us. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your unique password and account information, and for controlling access to emails between you and Synk, at all times. Your privacy settings may also be affected by changes the social media services you connect to Synk make to their services. We are not responsible for the functionality, privacy, or security measures of any other organization.
5. YOUR CHOICES ABOUT YOUR INFORMATION
Your account information and profile/privacy settings:
Update your account at any time by logging in and changing your profile settings.
Unsubscribe from email communications from us by clicking on the "unsubscribe link" provided in such communications. As noted above, you may not opt out of Service-related communications (e.g., account verification, purchase and billing confirmations and reminders, changes/updates to features of the Service, technical and security notices).
To review or modify your account information, choose My Account under Settings in the Synk app.
How long we keep your User Content:
Following termination or deactivation of your account, Synk, its Affiliates, or its Service Providers may retain information (including your profile information) and User Content for a commercially reasonable time for backup, archival, and/or audit purposes.
To delete your account at any time, please contact Synk at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will ask you to provide certain forms of proof to verify your identity. When your identity has been verified to our satisfaction, we will immediately remove your User Account and User Content from our databases and servers.
6. CHILDREN'S PRIVACY
Synk does not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register for the Service. The Service and its content are not directed at children under the age of 13. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
7. OTHER WEB SITES AND SERVICES
8. HOW TO CONTACT US ABOUT A DECEASED USER
In the event of the death of a Synk User, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. We will typically conduct our communication via email; should we require any other information, we will contact you at the email address you have provided in your request. We will ask you to provide certain forms of proof to verify your identity, your relationship to the deceased. When identity, relationship, and proof of death have been verified to our satisfaction, we will immediately remove your User Account and User Content from our databases and servers.
9. HOW TO CONTACT US